Sunday, July 18, 2010

Inspiration


I find inspiration in the simplest of things.

In the words of a song.

In a bird sitting in a tree outside my window.

In a moment of time while my kids play.

I see a picture.

I usually run for the camera so I can remember the image in clearer detail. Later that scene, altered here and there will become the starting point for a drawing.

Or often times scripture will bring to mind a picture. I'll think of how I can bring it to life, in my own style.

I think of something that I'd want to wake up and see first thing in the morning to inspire me to live a better life and to stay focused on God. So many little things can do this for me.

I love being open to them and then pondering them in my heart and mind. The idea for the art is usually a lesson for my soul. It helps me focus on the scripture that day and focus on the Creator who brought the scripture to me for a reason.

I love the connectedness I feel to the scripture as I work on the picture. I love the lessons God is teaching me as I simply draw and let go of any little worries bogging down my mind.

I think we all can find these moments in doing simple acts that cause you to let go and get lost in the moment. Folding laundry, ironing, making dinner, doing dishes, sewing, putting away toys, exercising, drawing or creating.

The little repetitive motions that allow us to escape usually open me up to hear from God. So the next time you're thinking about something as mundane, think of it as more than that, as an opportunity to quiet your mind and hear His gentle whispers.


"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind.

After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.

After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire.

And after the fire came a gentle whisper".
1 King 19:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment