Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Keeping It Simple


I'm noticing in so many parts of my life it's about keeping it simple.  Not thinking too much.  Not looking at the big, huge, seemingly insurmountable mountain.  It's looking at what is right in front of me.  It's being obedient with this moment.  It's taking this thought captive, and not spiraling with wrong thinking because I didn't stop the enemy in his tracks.  

Or in day to day life, it's just taking ten minutes to tidy, fifteen minutes to start dinner, twenty minutes to draw.  It applies to the big spiritual things, it applies to the daily tasks.  Sometimes they feel out of control because I'm looking at everything all at once.    

When I break it down to the simple I'm trusting that God sees the mountain, yet it's not a mountain at all to Him.  It's a speck.  And even if it feels big right now, He sees the bigger picture and is working all things for good for those that love him. 

My Community Bible Study is studying the book of Joshua right now under the year-long theme of God's servants.  I had a dawning today as I read and discussed with my group.  Actually I shouldn't say I had a dawning, but rather God opened my eyes to see that when we look at the challenges in our life and feel overwhelmed we're not being obedient like Joshua or Caleb.  And in doing so I'm actually sinning against him.  Caleb was sent out to look at the land and repeatedly the bible said he fully, wholly or wholeheartedly followed God.  He assessed the land and didn't come back saying, no it's insurmountable.  The land is large with armies, even giants, there are weapons and chariots.   And it's just too much, we can't do it.  No.  He knew that God was with him and God had commanded that they take the land.  He had wholehearted faith in God and His promises.


When I forget that God is faithful to all of His promises (and this applies to me, not just the Israelites), I'm not serving and loving Him with my whole heart.  I'm not believing He is who He says he is.  It's about taking every thought captive to Christ and putting on the full armor of God every day, every minute sometimes. 

Because those mountains aren't mountains to Him and He is with me always.  Keep it SIMPLE!  God is faithful and He keeps ALL of His promises!  

One more thing about His promises, we are to ask and we will receive.  Do you forget to ask for his promises sometimes?  I know I do.  He cares about all the details of our lives. 


"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."  Luke 11:9-10 

No comments:

Post a Comment