Sunday, February 19, 2012

loving gifts


I know it's a bit past Valentine's Day at this point.

I've just been so focused on the next task at hand that the blog has had to go on the back burner lately.

But I was and am still so excited about this gift that would be perfect for Mother's day that I had to share.

Each parent in my son's class takes a turn teaming up to host a holiday party.
Months ago I chose Valentine's day.  It's one of my favorite holidays.

Another mom and I did some fun games (ideas courtesy of one charming party..I LOVE that site!)


She read this book about St. Valentine.  (Also perfect for the 3rd/4th grade age range..and not too long either).  And for the craft, I wanted to do something that was practical, that they could gift to their moms as a Valentine's present.
So they made their very own brown sugar body scrub.
I received an expensive one from Whole Foods for Christmas.  The ingredient list got me thinking,
that it's really not that hard.  And the kids had so much fun measuring and stirring, and choosing their own essential oils for their moms.

Here's the recipe if you're interested.

BROWN SUGAR, COCONUT, ALMOND & ESSENTIAL OIL BODY SCRUB
1 1/4 cup of brown sugar
7 Tablespoons of Almond Oil
3 Tablespoons of melted Coconut Oil
15-20 drops of essential oil (I brought sweet orange, lavender, lemongrass for them to choose...typically the sweet orange was the one they went for, it is a really nice combination).
You mix all the ingredients except the essential oil first, making sure the consistency is nice and moist, you don't want it too dry and crumbly.  Then you add the essential oil and mix well again.  Then you can pack it in to the 8 oz. container.
I wish I had more pictures of the process, but my hands were deep in the oil helping kids measure and mix.  I found the containers online at speciality bottle.  This recipe perfectly fills the 8 oz. container.
I used photoshop to design two inch round labels, printed on a full sheet of label paper and punched them out with a circle punch.
The tag reads: "Dear Mom, For all you do to care for me, 
Now it's time to pamper you."
So a very happy belated Valentine's Day everyone..and perhaps this might inspire some DIY mother's day gifts in May.  It really was easy, so easy my five and seven year olds mixed their own batches at home.  Now everyone is scrubbing away and soft as can be at bath time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment