Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Lord Looks At Our Hearts

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.
Man looks at the outward appearance, 
but the Lord looks at the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7

This has been my bible memory verse for my Community Bible Study this week.


In studying this part of Samuel I was led on a trail of verses to find the one the Lord was speaking to my heart for this part of the month's memory verse.


The first part of the month literally skipped away from me.
I was overwhelmed with the lupus symptoms returning and having a hard time holding a pen to write. I never came on here to type out a post for the first part of February's verse.


Here's a confession, I never actually chose one.


I never spent time to find the one that the Lord was speaking to me.


Which is ironic really because that is when I needed it the most.


But I will not beat myself up about this.  Today is a new start and what's most important is that my heart is centered on God.


We're studying the reign of Saul and his fall from grace from the Lord.  His heart wasn't right.  That's the most important thing the Lord asks from us.  That we will love him with all our heart, mind and soul.  From that all other commandments will flow.  It's easy to put everything in perspective and the right order when our heart is right with the Lord.


Oh to suffer the fate of Saul.  It would be horrifying.  To have the spirit of the Lord depart from you.  


I couldn't imagine.  But the Lord knew that his repentance was not heartfelt.


He sees our hearts.  


He knows are innermost thoughts.


I recognize that I need to feel that thirst for the Lord always. I feel it most when I am in a place of greatest struggle. It is my life-line. I know I'm not alone.  He is every believer's life line.  


But sometimes, in those smaller struggles, I forget to stop and be filled when  my mind starts spinning with how to balance everything. I don't know why I revert to this.  


But I'm making a conscious effort to seek Him first and foremost, 
in all things, in all ways.


Psalm 63 so beautifully captures this feeling...


"You, God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in the sanctuary 
and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
your right hand upholds me."

Psalm 63:1-8




As I began this post, I thought I was going to choose another verse, but Psalm 63:3-5 grabbed me and so that will be the meditations of my heart over the next two weeks.  And in memorizing it, I pray the scripture will be imprinted in my mind and heart to recall in the moments when I need to hear these exact words from the Lord.




"Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you."





1 comment:

Kristie at The Decorologist.com said...

thank you for sharing those scriptures - exactly what i needed to hear. your blog header is absolutely wonderful, by the way :)

Post a Comment