Friday, May 17, 2013

insta friday - whew

This week began fresh off the heels of the whirlwind Washington DC trip.
A trip where we left at seven in the morning to return around 11:00 at night
every
single
day.

It was both fun and exhausting and this year for Mother's Day 
all this momma wanted to do was stay in bed 
and do very, very little but rest.

So the tradition of breakfast in bed was a start.
And the sweet little gift from my girls.

And my middle one who cut the orchid to place with my breakfast.
My first reaction was ooh, oh, don't cut the orchid.
But my husband smartly hushed me.
And that cut orchid is still living in that glass of water
by my bedside.  I honestly would have never thought
to do that.  She has an eye for beauty I tell you.

This week I have very much been moving to the
next thing I need to do.  And feeling all the while
that I'm still not recuperated from the trip.
My bedtimes have been as early as the kids.
And somehow we've made it to Friday.
But here is a look at some of our full week's of activities.
Monday began with a lab at sea field trip off the Channel Islands 
in Oxnard where they pull things up from the depths of the sea
for the kids to touch, see and learn.
My favorite part is on the real camera.
They showed us plankton under a microscope.
The stuff living in the sea water we don't see.
There were dance classes.
 And the end of the year brunch for my
Community Bible Study.
I recycled some of my willow of wonder
booth things for our centerpiece.
I knew it would be down to the wire and it was.
I was gluing this garden of grace banner in the
wee hours of the morning Tuesday.
Each lady added a tag with a favorite scripture to hang
 from our garden of grace tree.
 It's always a bittersweet ending.  At this point
we've traveled through a book in the bible over
the course of nine months together.  Sharing our
hearts, our lives and our love of the Lord.
And then we say goodbye, and the groups
are reassigned in the new year.  And it starts again.
This year in particular was an amazing group.
The Lord put me right where I needed to be.
A stop at Trader Joe's stopped me in my tracks
with the sight and smell of these beautiful peonies.
A worker there saw me trying to photograph my
girls amongst the flowers and offered to take one 
of me in there too.  So there you go. 
And on to the playoffs this week for baseball.
I'm so proud of how hard my son has worked
and how diligent and dedicated he is to baseball.
He thrives here and channels every bit of his
determination in a good way.
Gymnastics is the same for the girls.
And this one hour respite for me is a little
bit of bliss.  
Sitting and chatting with some really great moms.
 Not pictured, cause well I forgot, is my small group
of women I get to meet with.  We're starting a
book study this summer on the Bridge of San Luis Rey.
That was Wednesday night.  I am honestly so blessed
to have this as another touch point of grown up connection.
This week I realized gosh it has been SO LONG
since I read a novel.
Truly.
Life turned into parenting books and Christian
books.  Which are all good and I love them.
But I didn't give myself any breathing room to 
read a novel, to dissect its deeper meaning.
To savor the words and the symbolism.
And we're doing that this summer.
So yea, for being a grown up again.

But this scene of childhood, 
well it's a bit of bliss to me too.
You too? 
I think I'll forever be caught between
my grown up and childhood loves.
And I think that's ok.

And here's the orchid plant.  Just making me
smile as we go about our homeschool day.
 And I know typically pictures of food, especially
food like brussels sprouts really aren't too pretty.
But I just had to document this last night.
My eleven year old son kept exclaiming, "these
are so good."  He has come full circle from
being an amazing eater to a really picky eater.
So hearing this, well it was just one of those
mom moments where I was like, 'yes.'
Success.
 That, and two of the three were so excited that
I made them salads for dinner.  
I was having a pinch me moment.
My kids are growing up.  
They truly are. 

And I'm just so looking forward to this.
Lots of little plans for our summer.
I'll be sharing them soon.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! what a busy week! love those flowers - gorgeous! and the crayons - love. xoxo

Sarah said...

... you are such an encouragement. I absolutely love your heart for your family and your gift of writing. I am going after the joy of mom in my life. And I could use your gift. To share your wisdom, encouragement, and joy of mom.

So, I am trying something new. Posting on my lil' blog about mom. Momma notes. Would you consider joining me and sharing a post from your blog. It doesn't have to be a new post. There are so many on your blog I could choose. Your arts and crafts, homeschool tips, joyous pics of your kids. Simple mom words.

Monday I will have a linky thingie. My hope is that we can be encouraged and encourage other moms.

If I did it right, you can find it here ...
http://www.justsarahdawn.blogspot.com

Be blessed bunches,
Sarah

Post a Comment