Wednesday, July 27, 2011

picture me {im}perfectly: playing

I've been sensing something happening in my heart.

A melting.

An awakening.

A freedom that it took these summer days to find.

I'm breathing.

And I'm realizing more and more

these little people that are under my care,

they're fun.

And it's fun being with them.

Playing with them.

Listening to them.

Watching them.

Just hanging out with them.


So often I'm all about taking care of them.

Getting them fed, getting them ready, getting them here and there.

Bathing them, reading to them, praying with them, tucking them in.

You know, the routine.  

The day in and day out.


But somehow in that routine, 

I've become too much of a grown up.  

And I forget to have fun.


Yesterday we all jumped in the pool together

and through my goggle covered eyes

I see them clearly.

Submerged in water, we all circle round and face each other.  

Their fat cheeks holding air,

their wide eyes with flowing hair.


We pretend to sit and see how long we can stay.

And in this moment I feel like a child again.


Memories of summers long gone by come flooding in.


And I'm struck by what a blessing it is that they're

teaching me to play again.  


To be a kid again.


To step out of this world of responsibility.

And to see the gifts right before me.

"You have made known to me the paths of life; 
you will make me full of gladness with your presence."
Acts 2:28

1 comment:

hill said...

simply beautiful. you encourage me in so many ways. xoxo.

Post a Comment